June 16, 2020

The "Where are you FROM-from?" question




Many have asked me, “Where are you from?”

When I say, “San Diego” or “California,” many of them then ask another question that implies they think a brown person cannot be from the United States of America.

Questions such as “I mean where were you born?” or “I mean what is your racial background?”

So, if you ever want to know why my skin color and my features are not European, do not ask me where I’m from.

Instead, just ask about my racial background.

Because I’m as San Diegan, Californian or U.S. American as you.

And by the way, “American?”

There are thirty-five sovereign American countries in South, Central and North America.

Antigua and Barbuda.
Argentina.
Bahamas.
Barbados.
Belize.
Bolivia.
Brazil.
Canada.
Chile.
Colombia.
Costa Rica.
Cuba.
Dominica.
Dominican Republic.
Ecuador.
El Salvador.
Grenada.
Guatemala.
Guyana.
Haiti.
Honduras.
Jamaica.
Mexico.
Nicaragua.
Panama.
Paraguay.
Peru.
Saint Kitts and Nevis.
Saint Lucia.
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines.
Suriname.
Trinidad and Tobago.
United States.
Uruguay.
Venezuela.


God Bless Thirty-Five Americas!