June 10, 2020

Racists in the Catholic Priesthood




Catholic priests perpetrated the three most “right-into-my-personal-face” experiences of racism in my life.


Born in 1958 in the Philippines of Filipino parents, I came to the USA with them when I was less than a year old, and about ten years later I became a citizen of the USA.  I entered my Benedictine monastery in California in 1981.

1
Around 1985, after learning that a Filipino Benedictine monk and priest had become the president of the Pontifical Institute of Liturgy in Rome, I mentioned it to a white priest here in California.
He smiled and chuckled.
I told him it was no joke.
Still smiling, he said, “No.”
I spoke again to tell him it was true.
His face turned angry, and raising his voice he told me, “How did a FILIPINO get that?”

2
In Rome, 1988 to 1991, I was a student at the international Benedictine theology school of Sant’ Anselmo.
I was a member there of the chant “schola,” the small choir that leads the chant during the Mass and the Divine Offices.  On some occasion outside the liturgy, someone complimented me on my voice.
A white European priest heard it, turned and told me my voice did not match my skin color and racial features.

3
Still in Rome.  A group of Europeans and I were speaking about the so-called “Indians,” the aboriginal indigenous peoples of the Americas.  I mentioned that the native peoples died quickly in great numbers because they had no resistance to the diseases the Europeans brought.  At that, a white priest (from Spain that had colonized the Americas and the Philippines) shouted me down with, “NOYOU people gave US the diseases!”



Turn. Love. Repeat.